Monday 13 July 2015

A school Sports Day to wrap up the year... on steroids!



There has been a buzz in the air at school over the last month. It was exam time, lots of stressed students but at every extra break the girls were out in public spaces practising and participating for as it turned out "Field Day". I had no clear picture of what that was but I certainly enjoyed watching them at practice with the grade 12 students taking the lead:



Yesterday the Field Day finally arrived and I began another amazing Tokyo experience: Field Day on steroids. I have attended field days at my schools over the last 30 years. I have seen a whole range of kinds of events and venues... but never like this.

To begin with it turns out that the school rented the Tokyo Dome for the event. This is one of the main city venues right next to the future Olympic Stadium where many of the major sports events are held in Tokyo. So we spent the day in this incredible venue with the latest audio equipment etc. with 1200 plus students participating and 400 plus parents watching. One of the best features about it all was that we were inside a vast, cool arena protecting us from the blistering sun and humidity. Here we are all milling about outside waiting for the venue to open: 



The event opened with the showing of the colours of the teams and the national anthem. I am thinking we need more marching in our BC curriculum?



Check out the behaviour during the opening speech!


One of the traditional signs of respect is all students and staff bow at the beginning and at the end of each speech. Check it out:



And yet these girls are not automatons; they are fun, vibrant, chatty and excited girls in a society that has high expectations from their students:



Considering how many students there were to participate, the organizers did a brilliant job of picking high participation activities so all girls had a chance. This was group skipping:




Here is "basketball": how many soft balls can you get in the basket in a certain time. 



Students are responsible for cleaning and mopping their own classroom. Here is that skill put to a competitive use:



Check out the results of the team dance competition; just a couple samples:





How about this relay; with my Canadian principal`s hat on I kept wondering about liability but that isn`t so much an issue here. This was lots of fun:



A twist on somersaults:



A fabulous pole race. Watch them as they get back to their team. The whole team has to jump over the pole then duck under it as it gets passed to the next group.



Once again, to give you a feel for their personality; these girls are getting ready for the great Hat  Battle shown in the next two videos.





Some of my Double Diploma girls:




The event finished off with a magnificent dance team show which would have fit in well in the Pan American games...


A speech from my Japanese colleague principal; as my Japanese evolves this will also be me up there. Once again, check out the behaviour of the girls.



Finishing with the school song led by a student.



Over-all I was once again amazed by what is possible in different schools and different societies. I was totally inspired by the girls as I head off today for Canada for the summer. I look forward to some peaceful visits with friends and family, some quality trips in the wilderness.

I am also excited about the future of  BS Canadian International School in Tokyo waiting upon our return. 


No comments:

Post a Comment