Saturday 25 April 2015

How bicycling in Tokyo reminds me of route finding in the backcountry!

I am getting in a huge amount of biking. At least 15 k a day to and from work (if I don't pick a longer route); 30 km round trip on Sunday's to Quaker Meeting plus wherever we end up exploring on Saturday in this vast city. But it's a whole different kind of biking as you can imagine! 

I am lucky that on my commute to work I have figured out a path that takes me most of the way along a river with paved walkways and tree lined parks to give me a peaceful commute perhaps like Kaslo. Only here I have to figure out a way to get my suit to and from work when it needs to be dry cleaned, so here I am with my suit back on the back of my bike. I try to do this on the days it isn't raining... It has been raining quite a bit recently. 


Returning home after a rainy day. I was pretty wet. But it's fun.



Here's one of the parks right through on my way to work.


This is "my river" where they are beginning to hang paper carps to celebrate boys day. The carp is a symbol of strength.


But then on weekends we dive into the city to explore this amazing place. This involves weaving in and out of traffic, dodging other cyclists, pedestrians, challenging all of the Maserattis and Lamborghinis at the street lights. There are cyclists everywhere so drivers are used to us but it is also strange because many ride ride right on the sidewalk with pedestrians so it all gets very tangled sometime. More like Nelson than Kaslo but then...







In some ways it reminds me of the thrill of route finding when you are bushwacking in the Purcells. There are a myriad of tiny streets bisected by massive freeways that weave seemingly at random around temples, huge office complexes then ancient neighborhoods and parks. It is a real challenge to figure ANY logic into what the streets are doing. We kept thanking the GOD of technology for GPS.


I had a real sense of triumph today because I biked to and from Quaker meeting 30km across the city WITHOUT consulting my GPS ONCE and I got home in the expected time. I have finally started to figure out the "logic" of these streets and recognize the huge buildings as my landmarks so I can find my way. Who needs a sight line on Loki when you can see the Gotham city style City Hall towers from miles or the "birds nest" skyscraper that is unmissable? Pretty cool hey?

No comments:

Post a Comment